In this era of the internet and technology laptops have become so common in our business either office-based or online business at home. Having a laptop is not a luxury anymore, is a need now. Other than business, many people use laptops for gaming as well. Whatever the purpose is you are going to spend a lot of money on buying a laptop so it should be value for money.
Buying a laptop is not easy there are so many things to consider that it gets kind of confusing. Buying desired features of a laptop is now become easy; you can get what you want just by applying filters on any shopping website. If you are spending a good amount of money on buying a new laptop you want to make sure that you get the right one for you and its value for money
Here is a brief overview of some important tips that will be helpful to choose your new laptop
Choose Operating System
There are different types of operating systems available for laptops. The three most common are
- Microsoft Windows is the most common and most flexible platform. It is best for students, researchers, businessmen and gamers as it offers a wide range of features from the touch screen to dual graphic chips.
- macOS is specifically designed for Apple products, easy to use, excellent features but not offers touch screen features
- Chrome OS is inexpensive, simple and secure but more limited as compared to the other two. It is considered good for kids and students and the functionality of this OS is expanding rapidly
Among them, both Windows 10 and Mac offer plenty of functionality but what to choose depends on personal preferences. For example, if you are using windows from the start you will prefer using that obviously and vice versa.
There are two most common types of designs available for laptops nowadays
- The Clamshell laptop is the most common type of laptop. If you don’t intend to use your laptop as a slate or tablet, then this is a preferable design to get.
- Convertible 2 in 1 laptop you can use it like a clamshell mode, tablet mode, tent mode or stand mode. It comes in the following two forms
- A detachable hybrid laptop is available with a fully detachable keyboard. It can be used as a tablet and keyboard separately. On the tablet mode, press the button and the keyboard can be separated easily.
- Flexible laptop with hinges that can turn around up to 360° which can be used as a laptop as well as a tablet because of its touch screen.
A convertible 2 in 1 laptop (either bends back or detachable) is recommended if you want to use it as a tablet. Otherwise, standard clamshell laptop is preferable.
If you want to buy a clamshell laptop then having a touch screen on that is of much less use. Convertible or hybrid laptops are recommended if you want a touch screen as their touchpad comes in standard
Most laptops are available in the sizes of
- 11 and 12 inches range (small) is smallest, thinnest and lightest of all laptops, thus considered best for traveling.
- 13 and 14-inches range (small) is also considered as a good option for travel companions. Small screens are also preferred for the kids usage
- 15- 16 inches range (medium) more powerful, high in performance. It has enough power to handles some casual gaming
- 17- 18 inches range (large) is fine only if you don’t travel much and it has one position at your home. It is specifically used for playing high-powered games.
Among them, the size range between 13 to 14 inches is strongly recommended as it provides the perfect balance between usability and portability.
Whenever you are using laptops, the whole time you will look into the screen, so make sure its quality is good
- In Plane Switching (IPS) screen a type of LCD technology that provides much better color accuracy and viewing angle because of its liquid-crystal displays.
- Twisted Nematic (TN) screen is still use in some cheaper laptops. Not recommended because of low-quality production and viewing angle dependence
- Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen assure top quality image, brightness and high contrast ratio and is mostly recommended
Among them, OLED is now trending worldwide because of its advanced technology and best features.
Greater the pixels, more and sharper content would exhibit on your screen. Some low-budget laptops even offer 1366 x 768 displays but it’s only if you have a very small budget. Otherwise, 1920 x 1080 resolution also known as full HD is recommended mostly. Some higher end laptops also offer resolutions up to 2560 x 1600, 3200 x 1800, 3840 x 2160 which obviously gives you a much sharper display but it consumes a lot more battery lowering the battery life of your laptop.
It gives an idea that what performance you are going to get from your computer. The three most important things to be considered are
- The Processor is one of the most important things to be considered when buying a laptop. The three most common types are
- Celeron/ Premium/Core M is older and not very fast processors. Mostly used for web surfing and light document editing.
- Intel Core i3, i5, i7 is the most commonly used processor nowadays. It has a greater speed and battery life.
- AMO Ryzen 3/5/7 is the newly introduced processor having a speed comparable to intel core.
In terms of processor Corei5 or Ryzen 5 is recommended for a mainstream laptop with the best combination of performance and price
Storage makes a huge difference while using a laptop. For a low budget, 4GB is considered but ideally, 8GB and 16GB is recommended as 32GB would be more than enough and would get expensive. More than that like 64GB and above is specifically for power users.
As the speed of your processor is important, likewise performance of your storage derive is also very important. The two types of storage drives are as follows
- Solid State Drives (SSD) is a more reliable storage device that is durable, faster, more robust, more resilient, uses less power, so longer battery life thus more power efficient for OS and apps.
- Traditional Mechanical Hard Disk Drive (HDD) is a cheaper storage device but uses more power, can easily damage the read head so not recommended
At least look for 256gigabyte of flash storage in SSD instead of the hard drive as SSD offers three times more speed and a much faster laptop overall.
When buying a laptop always look for at least each one of these
- USB port
- HDMI port
- Thunderbolt port
- Headset port.
Keyboard and Touchpad
Following points must be considered while checking the keyboard or touchpad of your new laptop
- Should be responsive
- Must offer solid tactile feedback
- Plenty of key travel (1-2mm)
- Enough space between the key
- In the case of a touch screen of windows make sure it has precise touchpad drivers.
Minimum 6 hours of battery life but preferably 8 to 10 hours to ensure efficient working hours on your new laptop.
Thus buying a laptop must be a difficult choice to make but the above-mentioned tips will be helpful for you when buying a new laptop.